The World’s Best Duty Free Scores Revealed by The Daily Meal
With today’s tight budgets and rising ticket prices, travelers want the top deals for every part of their trip. But, what’s the point of haggling for cheaper airfare or hotel rooms if you still break the bank on souvenirs? That’s why TheDailyMeal.com, the site that houses everything food, has revealed the world’s best duty free scores. From coveted products at discount prices to items you can’t get anywhere else, here are a few of these fantastic steals:
- Hédiard Foe Gras— French cheeses, fig preserves, and foie gras may sound like prohibitively expensive gifts, particularly when they’re from famed gourmet brand, Hédiard. But passing through Paris’ Charles de Gaulle airport, travelers can find fantastic prices on all of the above. As a brand, Hédiard has taken travel retail to the next level with concept cafés in certain airports and expanding their reach from the Caribbean to the Middle East.
- The Glenlivet Master Distiller’s Reserve—Just a few months ago, The Glenlivet released a travel retail exclusive so coveted, the master distiller himself, Alan Winchester, was on-site at Heathrow’s terminal 5 to sign bottles at the launch. The Glenlivet Master Distiller’s Reserve is available only in the UK for now, but is set to expand its global reach soon. Considering its exclusivity, this would make a perfect host or holiday gift for any whisky lover — from aficionados to amateurs.
- Montreal Maple Syrup—When in Montreal-Trudeau, take advantage of special duty free prices on Montreal’s signature maple syrup. The airport’s Concourse B boasts an entire shop dedicated to the sweet substance, while savings can also be had on maple syrup-infused Canadian whiskey. You can’t get that anywhere else—or at least not for the price!
- Mexican Mole Sauce—Like maple syrup in Montreal, mole sauce is a much-loved local specialty in Mexico. Picking up a jar of mole sauce on your way home for yourself or someone who loves to cook is easy at Mexico City’s airport. Shops like Chocolate Mayordomo sell an array of mole sauces at great prices
- Jack Daniels Silver Select—Although what started as a duty free exclusive made its way into select specialty whisky shops, Jack Daniel’s Silver Select is still not easy to come by outside of airports. It’s a single-barrel whisky that is said to have been hand-selected by the brand’s master distiller Jeff Arnett, and each bottle is marked with a barrel number and bottling date. It’s the perfect gift for the curious (and knowledgeable) whisky drinker.